bloom™ offer - terms and conditions
Complimentary hearing assessment available upon presentation of Southern Cross Member card at appointment. For family member offers, the family member should provide the name, contact number, and membership number of Southern Cross member at the appointment. Diagnostic assessments may require a separate appointment to the initial hearing check appointment. Other appointment types are excluded, including but not limited to hearing aid reviews, wax removal, tinnitus assessments, and paediatric assessments. Appointments are subject to availability and location. Offer available once every 12 months for all members under any Southern Cross Health Society policy aged over 25 years (excludes travel insurance, life insurance and pet insurance policy holders). Additional assessment appointments will be charged at market rate.
25% off selected Widex and Signia, and are based on a hearing needs assessment and subject to availability. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with ACC, Veterans, or War Pensions funding. The selected hearing aids can only be bought by the member for their individual use. Ear moulds and accessories may incur additional charges and charged at marked rate. All hearing aid purchases include a 60 day no risk return period. Available for Southern Cross Health Society policy members only aged over 25 (excludes travel insurance, life insurance and pet insurance policyholders).
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files which are sent to your web browser when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies act as a memory for a website, allowing that website to remember your browser on your return visits. Cookies can also remember your preferences, improve the user experience and tailor the adverts you see to those most relevant to you.
This means we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- the internet domain and IP address from where you access the website
- the type of browser software and configuration and operating system used to access the website
- the date and time you access the website
- if you linked to the website from another website, the address of that website
- the pages you enter, visit and exit the website from, content viewed and duration of visits.
Our Privacy Statement sets out full details of the other information we collect and how we use your personal information.
What cookies do Southern Cross use on this website?
Two kinds of cookies are used on Southern Cross’ website: Session cookies and Persistent cookies.
- Session cookies are used to remember selections made on our website (for example in the Plan comparison tool). Session cookies are deleted automatically when you leave the website or close your browser.
- Persistent cookies are used to identify you when you return to our website and/or to remember specific information about your preferences. These cookies also help us understand browsing behaviour within the website, which can assist us in customising content that we believe will be most relevant to your interests. Persistent cookies are stored on the user's computer and are not deleted when the browser is closed. These cookies must be 'manually' deleted if you want to remove them.
Different cookies are used to perform different functions
Strictly necessary cookies - some cookies are essential for Southern Cross to use in order to provide you with secure access to certain areas of our website (e.g. My Southern Cross). These cookies use a unique identifier to ensure the privacy and security of your personal and or health information once you have logged into the website. If your browser is configured to reject all cookies you will be unable to log on to certain areas of the Southern Cross website e.g. My Southern Cross.
Analytical/performance cookies - these cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors interact and move around and use our website. These cookies are used for web enhancement and optimisation purposes and to aggregate statistics on how our visitors reach and browse our websites. This type of information allows us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily and to help us understand what interests our users, and measure how effective our advertising is;
- Southern Cross example 1: Google Analytics cookies collect information in an anonymous form, providing Southern Cross with information about how our website is used. Southern Cross can determine where visitors have come from to our site, how they are interacting with our site and how many visits have been recorded to our site. These third party cookies assist with making on-going improvements to our website and the online experience.
- Southern Cross example 2: Using Google Analytics User ID functionality, a unique, random ID is assigned by our system to members when they log in to My Southern Cross for the first time. This allows Southern Cross to view that visitor’s access to both My Southern Cross and the Southern Cross website across multiple devices and sessions over a period of time, providing us with more accurate information about how our members use our website, and to assist with making improvements to My Southern Cross and the Southern Cross website. In using the Google Analytics User ID tool we don’t disclose any personal information about you to any third party, including Google, and the data we get back from Google is aggregated and may only be used by Southern Cross in a non-identifiable form.
Functionality cookies - these cookies allow our website to remember choices you have made previously in order to improve your online experience. Southern Cross example: If you enter information about your age, gender and number of dependent children in our “Plan comparison tool” to get a quote on a health insurance plan option, a cookie is used to remember this information if you want to get a quote on a different health insurance plan option.
Advertising / targeting cookies - These cookies collect information about your browsing habits, which assists in the delivery of more relevant advertising. Third party organisations, including Google, collect certain information when you visit our website in order to display our advertisements when you visit other websites. Advertising features that Southern Cross uses include Google AdWords and Analytics Remarketing and Google Display Network Impression Reporting.
Please note that some cookies on the website are managed by third parties, including, for example, advertising networks, features such as videos, maps and social media, and providers of external websites like web traffic analysis services. These cookies are likely to be analytical/performance cookies or targeting cookies. You should refer to such third parties’ own cookie and privacy policies for information about how they may use your information.
How do I control my cookie settings on my computer?
If you decide to disable or block cookies, parts of our website will not function correctly, or at all, (e.g. you will be unable to access your My Southern Cross login).
Should you choose to disable or block our cookies you can do this through your browser. Most browsers allow you to manage your cookie preferences from the browser settings.
This version: July 2021
ecostore member offer - terms and conditions
*15% off online products
The member offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and is only available to Southern Cross Health Society members (excludes travel insurance, pet insurance and life insurance policyholders). The offer cannot be gifted to another individual or on sold. Shipping and freight charges may apply to each online order. Members must also agree to ecostore’s shopping terms and conditions when purchasing online.
^15% off products in store (flagship store - Scotland St, Auckland)
Your personal information will be held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society at Level 1, Te Kupenga,155 Fanshawe Street, Auckland City 1010 and used to contact you for the purpose of marketing its products and services to you. You have the right to access and request correction of any personal information held about you in accordance with New Zealand privacy laws.
Feel Fresh Nutrition member offer - terms and conditions
Offer is available to Southern Cross Health Society members only (excludes Southern Cross travel insurance, pet insurance and life insurance policyholders).
Financial advice, complaints process changes and clarification of consequences of fraud
At Southern Cross it’s important that we are doing the right things for our members and potential members, and we’ve been working on several changes to our policy documents around how we provide advice, our complaints process and clarifying what the consequences are for fraud.
Rest assured there is no change to your cover under your policy. You still receive the same benefits on your policy as before, but we have updated some parts of the policy documents to reflect our licensed financial advice provider status, and the way we protect against fraud. You can view your policy in My Southern Cross.
On Monday 15 March 2021, the Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act 2019 brings into effect a change in the way financial advice is regulated in New Zealand. This includes a requirement that financial advice providers have a licence issued by the Financial Markets Authority, and new duties that financial advice providers, and those that provide financial advice on their behalf, must comply with.
Southern Cross has a financial advice provider’s licence and our nominated representatives are here to give you advice about our health insurance products and to help you understand which of our plans best suit your specific needs and/or the needs of your family members. Find out more about the advice we are able to give you.
Clarifying consequences of fraud
As a not-for-profit Friendly Society that operates for the benefit of members, we need to make sure we’re protected in cases where a member is not truthful about their medical history or personal details or a claim they have submitted. We want to have confidence that when we pay claims for members, they’re genuine. We’ve made some wording changes to our policy documents to clarify the process we will follow to investigate suspicious claims and ensure that it’s clear that if anyone has lied or given us false information in respect to that claim, we have the right not to pay the claim.
We’ve also reviewed and updated our complaints process for you to follow should you ever be unhappy about our services, benefits or any financial advice provided. This is to ensure a robust process for resolution of complaints if you are ever dissatisfied. Find out more about our complaints process.
We’re here to help
If you have any questions relating to these changes, please contact us.
Financial Strength, Solvency & Legal
We are required by law to make specific information available to customers and potential customers. This page brings these important legal disclosures together in one place for your ease of access.
Southern Cross Medical Care Society (trading as Southern Cross Health Society) has an A+ (Strong) financial strength rating given by Standard & Poor’s (Australia) Pty Limited.
The rating scale is:
|AAA||(Extremely Strong)||AA||(Very Strong)||A||(Strong)|
|CCC||(Very Weak)||CC||(Extremely Weak)||SD or D||(Selective Default or Default)|
|R||(Regulatory Action)||NR||(Not Rated)|
As licensed insurers, both the Southern Cross Medical Care Society (the “Society”) and Southern Cross Pet Insurance Limited, a 100% owned subsidiary of the Society, are required by the Solvency Standard for Non-life Insurance Business (the “Solvency Standard") issued by the Reserve Bank of New Zealand (“RBNZ”) to retain a positive solvency margin, meaning that the actual solvency capital position exceeds the minimum required under the Solvency Standard.
As the Society is a licenced insurer with a licenced insurer subsidiary, these two insurer entities must be consolidated in order to calculate and report the consolidated insurance group solvency.
The following solvency information for both the Society and the consolidated insurance group is required to be disclosed in compliance with the Solvency Standard as issued by the RBNZ.
30 June 2021
Consolidated insurance group
Minimum solvency capital
The Society has complied with RBNZ imposed capital requirements for the year ended 30 June 2021.
Our financial position is disclosed in our annual report and financial statements, along with the independent auditor and appointed actuary’s reports. Click here for the latest Southern Cross annual report.
This is important information to help you decide whether to get financial advice from Southern Cross.
Southern Cross Medical Care Society holds a licence issued by the Financial Markets Authority to provide a financial advice service. You can check our financial services registration at fspr.govt.nz.
Limitations on the nature and scope of our financial advice service
Our financial advice service is intended to help you decide which Southern Cross product may best suit your needs.
Only those of our employees who have been appropriately trained and nominated by us are able to provide financial advice (these are our “nominated representatives”). Their advice is limited to recommending Southern Cross health insurance products or plans (or changes to your current plan). They cannot advise you on products offered by other providers.
We recommend that you consult an independent adviser if you need advice on how to choose from a range of different providers’ products.
Our financial advice service is provided free of charge.
Conflicts of interest and prioritising your interests
Our nominated representatives are required to act in an ethical and transparent way. To ensure they prioritise your interests, before giving advice on any of our products they will ask about your particular health insurance needs, financial situation and goals. Any recommendations they make will take account of relevant information that you provide. For employer groups, this includes relevant information about the group of employees that would be covered under an employer group plan.
We provide ongoing training to our nominated representatives and undertake regular checks to ensure that the financial advice they provide is appropriate and meets our legal obligations.
Our nominated representatives are also required to comply with our conflicts of interest policy. This includes a requirement to raise any actual, perceived or potential conflict of interest with their manager or other senior staff member so that it can be resolved appropriately.
If you’re dissatisfied with the financial advice service provided by or on behalf of Southern Cross, you can raise your concern directly with any of our nominated representatives, or by:
- calling us on 0800 800 181
- using our online complaints form
- writing to us at: Complaints at Southern Cross, Southern Cross Health Society, Private Bag 99934, Newmarket, Auckland 1149.
We’ll acknowledge receipt of your complaint within two working days of the date we receive it (or if it is not practicable to do so, as soon as practicable after that time). We’ll aim to resolve your concerns in a transparent and timely manner and we’ll keep you informed of our progress.
If you’re unhappy with our response, you can request that your complaint be reviewed by our Chief Operating Officer. The Chief Operating Officer will review and make a final determination in respect of your complaint, which will be communicated to you as soon as possible.
Still not satisfied?
If your complaint has been fully investigated by us and you’re not satisfied with the outcome, you can refer your complaint to the Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman (IFSO) for review.
The IFSO Scheme is a free and independent service designed to help resolve disputes between financial service providers and their customers. You can contact IFSO:
- By telephone, on 0800 888 202
- By email at email@example.com or at www.ifso.nz
- By writing to: Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman, PO BOX 10 845, Wellington 6143.
Southern Cross and its nominated representatives are bound by the duties set out in the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 to:
- give priority to your interests (by taking reasonable steps to ensure that our financial advice is not materially influenced by our own interests)
- exercise care, diligence and skill in providing advice to you; and
- meet the standards of ethical behaviour, conduct, client care and competence, knowledge and skill set out in the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services. These standards are designed to make sure we treat you as we should and give you suitable advice. The Code of Conduct standards can be read here: fma.govt.nz.
Privacy of information relating to our members is governed by the Privacy Act 2020 and (in relation to health information) by the Health Information Privacy Code 2020. See our full privacy statement.
Cookies are used on the Southern Cross web site in a range of ways to improve your user experience. See our Cookies policy.
Southern Cross Medical Care Society (trading as Southern Cross Health Society) is a friendly society operated for the benefit of members since 1961. We are registered under the Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act 1982. Southern Cross is a licensed insurer and a licensed financial advice provider. For financial advice on Southern Cross products call 0800 100 777, or if your employer has a work scheme call 0800 438 268. For more information and a copy, please see our financial advice disclosure above.
|Registered office:||Level 1, Te Kupenga, 155 Fanshawe Street, Auckland City 1010.|
|Postal address:||Private Bag 99934, Newmarket, Auckland 1149|
We are a part of the Southern Cross Healthcare Group, which includes separate and independent hospital and travel insurance businesses.
Find out more about the Group and its structure here.
Healthy Choices event prize draw - terms and conditions
- Entry to the Healthy Choices event prize draw (the Competition) is open only to those who attend the Southern Cross Healthy Choices event at their workplace (the Event) and enter the Competition.
- To enter the Competition, entrants must play the Giant Operation game at the Event, collect a prize token from inside the game, and place it along with their completed entry form in an envelope and into the prize draw box located at the Event (the Box). Only one entry per person is permitted.
- No purchase or fee is required to enter the Competition.
- The prize consists of one Fitbit Versa (RRP $349.95) (the Prize).
- The winner of the Prize (Winner) will be drawn at random from the entries placed in the Box by a Southern Cross representative (the Draw).
- Southern Cross’ decision is final.
- The Winner will be contacted by email within one week of the Event. If Southern Cross is unable to make contact with the Winner within one week of the Draw, the Winner will forfeit the Prize and a new winner will be randomly redrawn and awarded at Southern Cross’ discretion.
- The Prize will be given to the Winner by the Southern Cross work scheme administrator (previously supplied to them) or at the Event by a Southern Cross sales representative).
- Southern Cross is not liable for any loss, damage or injury by any person in connection with the Competition.
- The Prizes is non-transferable and not redeemable for cash.
- By entering the Competition, the Winner agrees that Southern Cross may use their name and image for promotional purposes.
- Entry into this Competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Les Mills offers - terms and conditions
^ LES MILLS™ On Demand
- Offer not available in conjunction with any other offer. Not open to members with an existing annual subscription, a subscription that is affiliated with their fitness club, or to customers currently on a gift subscription.
- Members will be charged monthly in advance for their subscriptions. Members subscriptions will automatically roll over on a monthly basis, unless cancelled. Cancel any time.
- Members must only purchase Les Mills On Demand subscriptions for themselves and cannot gift subscriptions to another individual. Subscriptions cannot be on-sold or transferred, and will be considered void if this occurs.
- Offer must be redeemed in person, not online. Offer not valid to current Les Mills members, or if you are a previous Les Mills member who terminated your Les Mills membership in the last 6 months. The Southern Cross member offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Les Mills offer and is only available on a Les Mills Multi-club 12 month minimum-term commitment.
- Members must only purchase the Les Mills membership for themselves and cannot be gifted to another individual. Les Mills Membership cannot be on-sold or transferred and is void if on-sold.
- Additional charges will apply for Personal Training and Les Mills reserves the right to refuse entry on the grounds of minimum age (15) and health and safety. Offer subject to Les Mills standard terms and conditions for multi-club membership contracts.
Southern Cross Life Insurance member offer - terms and conditions
- The 10% member discount on premium applies for the duration of your life insurance policy and only while you’re a Southern Cross Health Society member.
- Underwriting platform, terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. For full details of the policy terms and conditions, the policy wording may be downloaded here or call us on 0800 000 200 for a printed copy. Southern Cross Life Insurance is provided and underwritten by Cigna Life Insurance New Zealand Limited (‘Cigna’).
Low claims discount - terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions apply in respect to the Southern Cross Low claims discount
1.1 In these terms and conditions:
‘Adult Member(s)’ means a Member paying an Adult Premium Rate.
‘Adult Premium Rate’ means the premium or subscription rate for members 21 years of age and over at their policy anniversary date or from time to time.
‘Calculation Period’ means the continuous period of two years membership as close as reasonably practicable (in accordance with Southern Cross Health Society business practice from time to time) prior to the calculation of premiums at the time of Policy Renewal.
‘Dependant’ means a Member who is noted on the Policyholder’s policy or membership as a dependant of the Policyholder in accordance with the Society’s Rules.
‘Eligible Member(s)’ means a Member on an Eligible Plan, paying Adult Premium Rates, who isn’t part of a subsidised group scheme, has at least two years continuous membership and claims history with Southern Cross Health Society coinciding with the Calculation Period, and who has the calculation for the low claims discount applied to their annual premium (except that from time to time group schemes can be otherwise included or excluded from the low claims discount scheme at our sole discretion).
‘Eligible Plan’ means a policy or plan to which the low claims discount scheme applies from time to time.
‘Member’ means a person who is an active current Member of Southern Cross Health Society in any capacity, including as a Policyholder or Eligible Dependant as defined by the Society’s Rules, and on an Eligible Plan.
‘Policy Renewal’ means annual renewal of a policy or any other relevant policy amendment notice from time to time. For example, a change in circumstances including a change in plan type or leaving/joining a group scheme.
‘Policyholder’ means the principal Member who is noted on a Southern Cross Health Society membership certificate as the policyholder, to whom all official correspondence and invoices related to that membership will be sent.
‘Society’s Rules’ means the Rules of the Southern Cross Medical Care Society, as amended from time to time.
‘Southern Cross Health Society’ means the Southern Cross Medical Care Society, the operator of the low claims discount scheme.
‘Suspension’ means when a Member has been granted Southern Cross Health Society membership suspension for a fixed period of time not exceeding twelve months.
‘Thresholds’ means the aggregate amount of claims refunds including GST an Eligible Member can receive in the Calculation Period before they no longer qualify for the low claims discount (as varied from time to time).
1.2 Terms defined in the Society’s Rules, unless the contrary appears, similarly defined for these terms and conditions.
2.1 Entry into the scheme is free and automatic to any Eligible Member on an Eligible Plan.
2.2 Eligible Members are deemed to be bound by these terms and conditions.
3.1 The calculation of the low claims discount for each Member is determined by the claims refunds paid to or on behalf of a Member during the Calculation Period and the Southern Cross Health Society plan or policy held by the Member for the majority of the Calculation Period.
3.2 The threshold level applied at the time of calculation will be based on the Member’s age at their Policy Renewal date and the Southern Cross Health Society plan or policy as described in clause 3.1 above.
3.3 A Member is not eligible for the low claims discount unless they have had continuous membership and claims history on an Eligible Plan for at least two years corresponding with the Calculation Period. Members who have suspended their policies, or whose policies have lapsed during that two-year period (including for non-payment of premiums) will be ineligible.
3.4 Southern Cross Health Society can change the Threshold values, percentage discounts, Eligible Plans and other eligibility criteria from time to time without notice.
3.5 The low claims discount and any rights they confer are personal to a Member and cannot be sold, transferred, assigned or otherwise dealt with by a Member or on behalf of a Member.
3.6 The low claims discount has no cash or monetary value that may be paid to a Member.
4.1 If a Member transfers into a subsidised group scheme (or any other group scheme excluded from the low claims discounts scheme) or transfers to a plan other than an eligible plan, they will immediately cease to be eligible for the low claims discount.
4.2 Any change of group or transfer by a Member, excluding clause 4.1 above, will result in that Member’s low claims discount eligibility being reviewed in light of any change to the plan or policy type, Thresholds or other eligibility criteria.
4.3 A Member transferring from one policy to another (i.e. an Adult Dependant or divorced spouse taking a separate policy) will have immediate eligibility for the low claims discount, provided they remain an Eligible Member on an Eligible Plan as defined in these terms and conditions.
5.1 Southern Cross Health Society may alter a Member’s qualification for the low claim discount if an adjustment is required to correct any inaccuracy which would have resulted in the low claims discount being incorrectly applied.
6.1 Southern Cross Health Society will inform Members whether they are eligible for a low claims discount for their coming period as part of their Policy Renewal.
6.2 Any disputes about the low claims discount must be notified to Southern Cross Health Society within one month of the Member receiving their Policy Renewal advice. Otherwise, the low claims discount eligibility will be taken as correct and binding on the Policyholder and other Members noted on the Policyholder’s membership record. Disputes unless otherwise resolved will be dealt with as a dispute relating to a claim for a benefit under the Society’s Rules .
6.3 A Member shall be deemed to have forfeited any eligibility for a low claims discount they have earned if; (a) the Member ceases to be a Member of Southern Cross Health Society at any time; or (b) the Member ceases to hold an Eligible Plan; or (c) the Member ceases to have continuous cover with Southern Cross Health Society (including Suspension); or (d) the Member does not adhere to the Society’s Rules and suffers disciplinary action in terms of those rules.
6.4 Southern Cross Health Society reserves the right to vary these terms and conditions, or to suspend or terminate the scheme at any time without prior notice to Members.
6.5 Southern Cross Health Society may also at any time and without prior notice change the basis for calculating the Thresholds and / or the plans which are eligible for this scheme and / or the eligibility criteria for Members fixed in accordance with clause 3.1.
6.6 Southern Cross Health Society shall not be liable in any way for: (a) the suspension or termination of the scheme; or (b) any failure to notify a Member of any change in these terms and conditions; or (c) any change in the basis for earning the low claims discount; (d) any accidental failure or omission to give any notice or notification to any Member(s).
6.7 A notice shall be deemed to be given to a Member if it is posted to the last known address of the Policyholder.
Lumino member offer - terms and conditions
- Half price exam and x-rays are only available to new patients.
- Participating practices only and appointments are subject to availability.
- Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Full payment is due at the time of appointment.
- You must identify yourself as a Southern Cross member by presenting your Member card, app or membership number at the time of service to receive the discount.
- Discount will NOT be applied retrospectively, there are no exceptions to this condition. .
Member feedback survey Prezzy Card prize draw - terms and conditions
- The Prize Draw is open to Southern Cross Medical Care Society (“Southern Cross”) members who receive the member feedback survey email (“Email”) and complete the member feedback survey contained in the Email (“Survey”) between Friday 16 July 2021 and Friday 30 July 2021 (“Promotional Period”) (“Eligible Members”).
- No purchase or fee is required to enter the Prize Draw.
- Each Eligible Member will automatically be placed in the Prize Draw. Eligible Members will only be entitled to one entry into the Prize Draw.
- Completion of the Survey during the Promotional Period is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The prize consists of one (1) $100 Prezzy Card (“Prize”).
- The Prize will be drawn on 2 August 2021 and the Prize winner will be notified by email at the same email address that the invitation to participate in the Survey was sent to. If Southern Cross is unable to get in contact with a Prize winner within two (2) weeks of the Prize Draw taking place, that winner will forfeit the Prize and the Prize will be re-drawn.
- Employees or contractors (and their immediate families) of any of the Southern Cross group of businesses are not eligible to enter the Prize Draw.
- Southern Cross’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Southern Cross is not liable for any loss, damage or injury by any person in connection with the Prize Draw or the Prize.
- The Prize is non-transferable and not redeemable for cash. The Prize is subject to availability and if unavailable will be replaced with similar prize of an equivalent value.
- Your personal information is being collected by Southern Cross Medical Care Society for the purpose of conducting and administering this prize draw. Your personal information will be held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society, level 1, Te Kupenga, 155 Fanshawe Street, Auckland 1010. You have the right to access and seek correction of any personal information Southern Cross holds about you.
Member privacy statementAs a member of Southern Cross Medical Care Society (“Southern Cross”), your privacy is very important to us. We value the trust you place in us to handle your personal and health information the right way.
Our Member Privacy Statement sets out how we will do this, in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020 and the Health Information Privacy Code 2020. During the course of our relationship with you, we may also tell you more about how we will handle your information, for example when you make a claim.
How may Southern Cross use your information?
You authorise us to use information about you for the following purposes:
- to consider your eligibility for cover under the policy
- to consider the specific terms applying to the policy (including any pre-existing conditions)
- to administer the policy and your membership with the Society including general meetings
- to consider whether any healthcare service is eligible for cover under the policy and
- to process, investigate and review any claims made and/or paid (including historical claims).
- to assist with the administration of any products and services you have with other 'Southern Cross' branded businesses
- to contact you from time to time, including within a reasonable time of you ceasing to be covered by the policy, about products and services relating to us, other ‘Southern Cross’ branded businesses, and our trusted business partners
- to prevent, detect and investigate any fraud including where in our reasonable opinion we suspect any fraud
- to conduct analysis and research in relation to the above purposes and
- where permitted or required by law
Who may Southern Cross collect your information from?
You authorise us to collect information about you for the above purposes, directly from you, or from:
- the policyholder (e.g. directly from the policyholder via their application, claims and approvals)
- the spouse or partner of the policyholder (provided they are covered by the policy)
- a previous Southern Cross health insurance, Cancer Assist or Critical Illness policy (including previous application(s), Membership Certificate(s) and or claims)
- health services providers (including Affiliated Providers), approved facilities, and medical authorities (including ACC and Ministry of Health)
- ‘Southern Cross’ branded businesses and our trusted business partners
- the adviser associated with the policy
- the Group Administrator, if the policyholder is part of a work scheme or association scheme for the purpose of administering premiums (if applicable) and verifying the policyholder’s eligibility to be part of the work scheme or association scheme (excluding the collection of health information) and
- any other person when authorised by you, the policyholder or an adult dependant
You also authorise the disclosure of such information by such parties for any of the above purposes.
Please note that we generally record inbound and outbound telephone calls we have with you for operational and training purposes.
Who may Southern Cross disclose your information to?
You authorise us to disclose information about you for the above purposes, directly to you, or to:
- the policyholder
- the husband / wife or partner of the policyholder (provided they are covered by the policy)
- relevant health services providers (including Affiliated Providers), approved facilities and medical authorities
- any other person when authorised by you, the policyholder or adult dependant
- the adviser associated with the policy (including disclosure of health information)
- the Group Administrator if the policyholder is part of a work scheme or association scheme for the purpose of administering premiums (if applicable), including the disclosure of premium information about any dependants on the policy (if applicable), and verifying the policyholder’s eligibility to be part of the work scheme or association scheme (excluding the disclosure of health information)
- other ‘Southern Cross’ branded businesses and our trusted business partners (for example, suppliers of services such as mailing houses, research and insight agencies, and information technology) and
- any other party in accordance with the law
Any disclosure of your personal and/or health information will only be for the purposes set out above under ‘How may Southern Cross use your information’.
All communications from us relating to you, whether or not you are the policyholder, will be sent to the policyholder. This means that your personal and health information will always be disclosed to the policyholder, including when you make a claim or request prior approval, and you authorise this disclosure.
Is your information secure?
We take all reasonable steps to make sure your personal and health information is kept safe from loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and/or misuse, in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act and Health Information Privacy Code.
How can you access and correct your information?
You are entitled to have access to and request correction of any of your personal information or health information held by us. Please contact us on 0800 800 181.
We do our best to ensure that the information about you that we collect, store, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. Prompt notification of any changes to your contact details will help us to do this. You can update your personal details online in My Southern Cross, or the mobile app. If we do not have your correct contact details we may not be able to provide you with important information about your policy.
From time to time Southern Cross may send you marketing and other information electronically such as by email or text message. If you have provided your email address or mobile phone number we take this as your implied consent to us doing this. If you wish to withdraw your consent at any time please contact us.
If you do not provide us with your information, what then?
If the information provided to us is not accurate or complete we may not be able to process the application or claim, or it may result in us not being able to provide you with cover until such information is provided. The consequences of providing incomplete, false or misleading information are set out in your policy document.
Need more information?
If you have any queries about how we handle your personal and health information, or our Member Privacy Statement, please contact us on 0800 800 181.
Your information is collected and held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society, Level 1, Te Kupenga, 155 Fanshawe Street, Auckland City 1010.
Version updated March 2021.
My Southern Cross mobile app privacy statement
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal and health information (“Information”) in accordance with our Privacy Statement. A summary of the key terms of our Privacy Statement is set out below. You can view our full Privacy Statement here.
The Information we collect and hold about you and your dependants will be used:
- to consider your eligibility and the eligibility of your dependants for cover under this policy;
- to consider the specific terms applying to your policy;
- for administration purposes, such as billing and claims management;
- to consider whether any healthcare service is eligible for cover under this policy;
- to contact you (and your dependents) with information about products and services relating to us, other Southern Cross branded businesses, and our business partners;
- to prevent, detect and investigate any fraud or where in our reasonable opinion we suspect any fraud;
- to process, investigate and review any claims made and or paid (including historical claims).
We collect Information about you and your dependants directly from you.
We may also collect Information about you (and each of your dependants) from your husband / wife or partner (provided they are named on your policy), health services providers and medical authorities, Southern Cross’ business partners and any third party authorised by you, and you and each of your dependants authorises this collection and the disclosure of such Information to such parties for the purposes as set out above and in full in our Privacy Statement.
We may need to disclose Information about you (and your dependants) to your husband / wife or partner (provided they are named on your policy), the relevant healthcare services providers, medical authorities or the third parties authorised by you, or any other party required by law, in relation to any of the purposes as set out above and in full in our Privacy Statement and you and each of your dependants named on your policy authorises us to disclose this Information.
All communications from us relating to you (or any of your dependants) will be sent to you. This means that information about each of your dependants will be sent to you and each of your dependants authorises this.
If you or any of your dependants would like to access or correct Information that we hold about you (or any of your dependants), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not provide us with any requested Information for all individuals on your policy, it may delay the processing of your application or your claim, or may result in us not providing you or your dependants with cover until such information is provided.
The My Southern Cross Mobile App is a facility established and maintained by Southern Cross Medical Care Society (Southern Cross/we/us/our) which may be accessed using your mobile phone handset. Use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App initially requires the use of a confidential user name and password which may be obtained from Southern Cross, and a PIN number selected by you (together, Security Credentials).
The terms and conditions of your policy are contained in your policy document. You can view a copy of your policy document online at www.southerncross.co.nz. The terms and conditions of your policy (including benefits, limitations and exclusions) may change from time to time. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event of any conflict between the content of the My Southern Cross Mobile App and the terms and conditions of your policy, the terms and conditions of your policy take precedence.
There is no additional fee or charge for use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
2. Service Descriptions
Southern Cross has the sole right to determine the extent of your access and the extent of services available via the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
The ‘benefits’ function displays the amount that is available to you to claim for eligible healthcare services based on your annual limits. An annual limit is the maximum amount you can claim in each claims year for an eligible healthcare service, or for the healthcare services within a particular category (e.g. Self-care services).
There may be other conditions or restrictions which apply to the benefits displayed. Please refer to your policy document.
Depending on your policy, some limits may be combined limits. For example, if you have a HealthEssentials policy, you have a combined limit for Physiotherapy, Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Remedial massage therapy, Acupuncture and Dietitian consultations.
Benefits indicated may not be accurate as claim limits are not updated in real time. Benefits are also not payable by Southern Cross until applicable stand-down periods have been served.
Reliance on the information displayed in the benefits function is entirely at your own risk. We suggest you contact us for more accurate information about your claim limits.
Claiming function (applicable to policyholders only)
You may submit a completed claim for certain eligible healthcare services received by any member covered under your policy through the My Southern Cross Mobile App. Make sure you include a legible photograph or scanned copy of the original itemised receipts which includes the date treatment was provided. We do not accept EFTPOS or credit card receipts. Please retain your original itemised receipts as we may request these be provided to us in order to assess your claim.
The mandatory claim fields must be fully completed and required declarations made to ensure your claim can be processed promptly.
If accepted, we’ll pay your claim refund to the bank account number you give us when you submit your claim.
Prior Approval function
You must apply for prior approval if the cost of your healthcare service is likely to be over $1000 or where any hospitalisation is required, unless you are using an Affiliated Provider.
You may apply for prior approval through the My Southern Cross Mobile App, either for yourself or for another member on the same policy. You will need to provide estimated charges from your health care service provider for each health care service applied for.
If you apply for prior approval for yourself but you are not the policyholder, you acknowledge that information about that prior approval will be provided to the policyholder, as set out in the relevant policy document.
You should apply for prior approval using the My Southern Cross Mobile App at least five working days prior to the healthcare service being provided. If the healthcare service will be provided sooner than 5 working days do not apply through the My Southern Cross Mobile App. Instead you must call us on 0800 800 181 to apply.
If you do not apply for prior approval before using the healthcare service you will have to pay for the healthcare service yourself and then submit a claim, which will be processed in accordance with your policy.
Please note that some mobile devices will retain a copy of the photograph(s) you take of an invoice or costs estimate using the My Southern Cross Mobile App, and store it on your device (e.g. in the device’s photo gallery).
Member offers function
The member offers function displays offers and discounts available to Southern Cross Health Society members from our partners. Terms, conditions, exclusions and availability periods apply to all offers. Visit each offer for full details.
Some of the services require the use of Security Credentials whether issued by Southern Cross or selected by you. You undertake to take responsibility for, and use your best endeavours to prevent, any unauthorised use of, and access to, your My Southern Cross Mobile App account and to protect your personal information and Security Credentials at all times. Your Security Credentials must remain confidential to you alone and you must take all reasonable steps to prevent disclosure of your Security Credentials. For example, you must:
- memorise your Security Credentials;
- not write down or save your PIN number anywhere in any form, including electronically, for example, in your mobile phone;
- not leave your mobile device unattended and logged in to the My Southern Cross Mobile;
- not disclose your Security Credentials to anyone (including the Police, Southern Cross staff or your family);
- take care to ensure no-one can see you enter your Security Credentials; and
- report the disclosure or possible disclosure of your Security Credentials to Southern Cross as soon as you are aware or suspect your Security Credentials have been disclosed.
Where you are required to select a PIN number to use the My Southern Cross Mobile App, the PIN number you choose must not be unsuitable. Unsuitable PIN numbers include:
- birth dates, months or years;
- sequential numbers (e.g. 3456);
- number combinations that may be easily guessed (e.g. 1111);
- parts of your telephone number; and
- other easily accessible personal data (e.g. drivers licence or other numbers easily connected with you).
In addition, you should consider using a different PIN number to access your mobile phone and other cards, bank services or equipment. We encourage you to change your PIN number on a regular basis.
You may be able to use any fingerprint or Face ID stored on your device as your preferred login credentials to access the My Southern Cross Mobile App instead of a PIN (‘Fingerprint Login’ or ‘Face ID Login’). Any person whose fingerprint or Face ID is stored on your device will be able to access your accounts through the My Southern Cross Mobile App. Accordingly, you must ensure that only your fingerprint or Face ID is stored on the device if you wish to use Fingerprint Login or Face ID Login. Fingerprint Login and Face ID Login details are stored on your device and not by the My Southern Cross Mobile App/Southern Cross, so we cannot verify the identity of any person who uses Fingerprint Login or Face ID Login to access your account from your device. You agree that you will be responsible for all actions on your accounts following successful Fingerprint Login or Face ID Login to the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised access to or use of your Security Credentials.
4. Intellectual property rights
You acknowledge that all intellectual property rights (including copyright) in the content, layout, design, concept, graphics, software and organisation of the My Southern Cross Mobile App (Southern Cross Materials) is owned by or licensed to Southern Cross.
You may not otherwise copy or change the Southern Cross Materials, and must not adapt, communicate, sell, or otherwise deal with the Southern Cross Materials. You must not tamper with any copyright notice appearing on the My Southern Cross Mobile App or in Southern Cross Materials accessed via the My Southern Cross Mobile App. If you submit any information to us through the My Southern Cross Mobile App, Southern Cross will own all rights in the content that you submit.
"Southern Cross" and "HealthEssentials" and all related graphics, logos and product and service names are trademarks (both registered and unregistered) of Southern Cross. These trademarks, logos and other proprietary graphics may not be used in connection with any other product or service without Southern Cross’ express prior written consent. You must not tamper with or commercially use any trade mark, logo or names (including business names and domain names) appearing on the My Southern Cross Mobile App or in materials accessed via the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
You acknowledge and agree that:
- you will not do anything to or which might hinder, impede, invalidate or challenge Southern Cross’ ownership of or entitlement to use or the registration of any part of the intellectual property or which might diminish the value of the intellectual property in the My Southern Cross Mobile App and/or Southern Cross Materials; and
The My Southern Cross Mobile App is provided to you on an "as is" and "as available" basis, and may from time to time contain errors, faults and inaccuracies. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation, we make no representation and provide no express or implied warranty or guarantee about the security of the My Southern Cross Mobile App, the safety of any file or software associated with it (such as safety from any virus or defects including those which could damage or interfere with any data, software or hardware with which it might be used) or that access to the My Southern Cross Mobile App will be uninterrupted.
The content of the My Southern Cross Mobile App is general and provided for information purposes only. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation, we do not give any express or implied warranties or guarantees and make no representations in relation to the My Southern Cross Mobile App. In particular, while reasonable care is taken in its preparation, Southern Cross does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, quality, completeness, reliability or currency of the My Southern Cross Mobile App (including any errors in or omissions from the content of the My Southern Cross Mobile App), or of any Southern Cross or third party websites, materials, information, products or services promoted or accessed via the My Southern Cross Mobile App, or their usefulness in achieving any purpose. You should make and rely on your own assessment and enquiries to verify the accuracy of the information provided.
Southern Cross does not provide telecommunications services and does not warrant that you will have continuous access to the My Southern Cross Mobile App or that it will be supplied fault free. Southern Cross will not be liable in the event that the My Southern Cross Mobile App is unavailable to you due to computer downtime attributable to malfunctions, upgrades, preventative or remedial maintenance activities or interruption in telecommunications supply. Southern Cross reserves the right to suspend or terminate the availability of the My Southern Cross Mobile App at any time.
You agree to access and use the My Southern Cross Mobile App entirely at your own risk. Any transaction you enter into with any advertiser or other third party appearing on the My Southern Cross Mobile App is solely between you and the advertiser or other third party. Southern Cross is not responsible or liable for any part of any such transaction.
6. Limitation of liability
Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation, Southern Cross and its officers, employees and agents accept no liability for any damage, loss, illness or injury (including any loss of profits or income, business interruption, and loss or corruption of data or other information) arising as a result of:
- your access to or use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App or websites or applications linked from the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- the information on the My Southern Cross Mobile App, or on websites or applications linked from the My Southern Cross Mobile App, being incorrect, incomplete or misleading;
- any action or decision by you in relation to the information contained on the My Southern Cross Mobile App; and
- any delay, failure, malfunction or interruption in access to or use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App or websites or applications linked from the My Southern Cross Mobile App; and
- any other cause that may be considered to be beyond the reasonable control of Southern Cross.
You acknowledge that:
- you are responsible for and must take all reasonable care to ensure that information you supply via the My Southern Cross Mobile App is true, complete and accurate;
- Southern Cross accepts no responsibility or liability for the accuracy of, or failure to transmit, information requested by you as part of your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- you are aware of and accept the risks specifically associated with any breach of the security environment relating to your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App (including, without limitation, the risk that third parties may gain access to your personal and/or health information which is confidential);
- Southern Cross has no authority to act for or to incur any obligation on behalf of any Mobile Operator;
- Southern Cross is at no time acting as an agent or partner of any Mobile Operator in providing the My Southern Cross Mobile App and no representation is made or given by Southern Cross that any such relationship exists; and
- neither Southern Cross nor the My Southern Cross Mobile App are regulated or authorised in any jurisdiction other than New Zealand and the My Southern Cross Mobile App is intended to be available only to New Zealand residents who are members of Southern Cross. Southern Cross gives no warranty that it is lawful for citizens or residents elsewhere to use the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
You agree to fully indemnify Southern Cross and its subsidiaries, partners, officers, employees and agents in respect of any loss or damage (including reasonable legal expenses) arising out of or in connection with:
- any loss, damage or liability resulting from any breach of security, including without limitation the use or misuse (whether fraudulent or otherwise) of your Security Credentials or confidential information;
- your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- any person using your Security Credentials to gain access to the My Southern Cross Mobile App; and
- any breach of or failure by you to comply with these terms and conditions.
7. Privacy statement
We collect, retain, hold, use and disclose your personal and health information and other information submitted by you in the My Southern Cross Mobile App in accordance with our Privacy Statement. You can find our full Privacy Statement on our website, www.southerncross.co.nz/privacy.
If you are not a member of Southern Cross, Southern Cross will not collect any personal information or health information about you through your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
If you are the policyholder of your Southern Cross policy and are using the Claims function:
- The claims function collects personal information about each member named in a claim for the purpose of evaluating the claim and for contacting you from time to time (using any contact details provided) with information about Southern Cross products and services.
- The intended recipient of this information is Southern Cross Medical Care Society.
- The information is being collected and held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society, Private Bag 3216, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240, Freepost Authority 158217.
- If you fail to provide the information requested your claim may be declined.
- Each member named in the claims function has the right to access and request correction of this information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
8. Governing law
These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of New Zealand. Both you and Southern Cross irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand.
9. Third party websites
Southern Cross may, from time to time, facilitate access to other web-based services delivered by third parties.
10. End-User Terms Required by Apple
You acknowledge and agree that, if the My Southern Cross Mobile App used by you is an iPhone Application:
- These terms and conditions are between you and Southern Cross, and not Apple, Inc. (Apple);
- Southern Cross, and not Apple, is solely responsible for the My Southern Cross Mobile App and Apple has no responsibility whatsoever to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation , Apple will have no warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- Apple is not responsible for any claims that you have arising out of your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- Apple will have no responsibility whatsoever for the investigation, defence, settlement or discharge of any third-party claim that the My Southern Cross Mobile App infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights;
- you represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties; and
- Apple and its subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these terms and conditions and, upon your acceptance of these terms and conditions, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these terms and conditions against you as a third party beneficiary.[NC1]
- The information contained on My Southern Cross is provided for the purposes of informing you about your Southern Cross health insurance plan including your level of cover and the benefits available under your plan, and enables you as a Southern Cross policyholder / member to undertake certain activities online, including but not limited to; enabling you to claim, apply for prior approval, view communications and update your contact details (as applicable).
- By registering for My Southern Cross, you agree to receive all available policy related communications online through My Southern Cross. This includes any communications related to payments, like Direct Debit advice. We will let you know when a communication is available to view by notifying you by email. You can change this at any time in ‘My communication settings’.
- While Southern Cross will endeavour to keep the contents of My Southern Cross up to date and accurate, we do not warrant or represent to you or any other person that such content is accurate or up to date at all times.
- Southern Cross will provide My Southern Cross and any My Southern Cross Services that you request with reasonable care and skill, however we do not represent or warrant that My Southern Cross or any My Southern Cross Service will: 7.1. operate on a continuous or fault-free basis or at any particular time or location; 7.2. be free of viruses or other harmful features (including any files displayed or obtained from or through My Southern Cross or the My Southern Cross Services or any website linked to it).
- We will endeavour to have functionality to My Southern Cross and any My Southern Cross Service restored as soon as reasonably possible in the event of an outage or other technical fault.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, Southern Cross and its officers and employees will not be liable whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise to you or any other person for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect, consequential or special) arising directly or indirectly from any errors or omissions in the information contained in My Southern Cross or any My Southern Cross Service or any delay or interruption to or use whatsoever of My Southern Cross or My Southern Cross Service, or any failure to comply with clauses 7.1 or 7.2. We are also not responsible for the security of the environment that you choose to access your information.
- Except as expressly provided otherwise, Southern Cross or its suppliers own all copyright and other intellectual property rights in the information contained in My Southern Cross or otherwise connected with My Southern Cross or the My Southern Cross Services. No part of My Southern Cross or the My Southern Cross Services may be modified, reproduced, transmitted, stored or otherwise dealt with (including in any other website or other electronic form) except as expressly provided for on My Southern Cross or with the prior written consent of Southern Cross, except that you may print, or download to your hard drive extracts from My Southern Cross for your own personal use.
- While using My Southern Cross or any My Southern Cross Service you must ensure that:
- 11.1. all information which you supply to Southern Cross is current, complete, accurate and provided in a timely manner;
- 11.2. you comply with all applicable laws, regulations standards and codes;
- 11.3. all security information (including any login, username, password or PIN) relating to you is kept confidential and not disclosed to any third party; and
- 11.4. you notify us immediately of any actual or suspected unauthorised use of security information relating to you.
- My Southern Cross may contain links to other third party sites. These sites are not under the control of Southern Cross, and Southern Cross is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or liable for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect, consequential or special) suffered by you or any other person from accessing, using or relying on any linked site. The inclusion of any link in My Southern Cross is provided as a convenience only and does not imply endorsement, recommendation or warranty by Southern Cross of the linked site or the products and services provided there or any association with its operators.
- For the avoidance of doubt, in the event of any inconsistency between the content on My Southern Cross and the terms and conditions of our policies, the terms and conditions of our policies take precedence.
- The contents of My Southern Cross have been prepared in accordance with New Zealand law. The contents of My Southern Cross are governed by New Zealand law and New Zealand courts have non-exclusive jurisdiction.
- All dollar figures stated on My Southern Cross are in New Zealand dollars and include goods and services tax (unless otherwise stated).
OPSM offers - terms and conditions
^Free Eye Test
- Offer applicable on a standard eye test at OPSM and a standard digital retinal scan (excludes contact lens examinations).
- Available for Southern Cross Health Society members only (excludes travel insurance, life insurance and pet insurance policyholders) on presentation of your virtual member card in your My Southern Cross app in store.
- Subject to appointment availability.
- More comprehensive retinal scans are available.
- If you opt for the more comprehensive scan, you will incur an additional fee.
- Offer only available once per eligible member every two years.
- Offer not transferable.
*Standard Discount (available year round)
- Southern Cross Health Society members receive 15% off lenses and lens extras and 10% off contact lenses.
- Offer is available to Southern Cross Health Society members only (excludes travel insurance, pet insurance and life insurance policyholders) on presentation of Southern Cross Member card or membership number.
- Offer not transferable.
- Neither offer may be used in conjunction with any other offer, discount or benefit (other than the other offer set out above).
- 30% off lenses, lens extras and lens options available with purchase of complete pair of prescription glasses or prescription sunglasses. Customer must have a valid optical prescription. Customer may be required to undergo an eye test (fees may apply) prior to redemption of offer if prescription is not valid.
- 20% off contacts lenses. Customer must have a valid contact lens prescription. Customer may be required to undergo contact lens consultations (fees apply) prior to redemption of offer if prescription is not valid.
- Discounts are off normal selling price.
- Offer exclusively available to Southern Cross Health Society members. Please present your Southern Cross member card or virtual card on the My Southern Cross app to redeem offer.
- Offers are not transferable to another person.
- Only one discount per transaction. Offers are not available in conjunction with any other offer or discount, other than the free eye test offer.
- Offer excludes eye exams (other than standard eye exams) and eye exam technology, contact lens consultations, Eyewear Protection Plan, packages, 3rd party contracts, safety certification fee and gift cards.
- Offer commences on 17/01/22 and ends 22/02/22.
Pita Pit member offer - terms and conditions
- Discount is off the total purchase price.
- Offer excludes value pita range and kids menu.
- Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
- Not available on Uber Eats or any other delivery platform.
- Offer is available to Southern Cross Health Society members and BeingWell clients only (excludes Southern Cross travel insurance, pet insurance and life insurance policyholders).
Terms and Conditions for the Plan Insights Survey Prezzy Card prize draw (“Prize Draw”)
- The Prize Draw is open to Southern Cross Medical Care Society (“Southern Cross”) members who receive an email invitation from Southern Cross Medical Care Society (“Southern Cross”) inviting them to take part in the Plan Insights Survey (referred to as a “Survey”) and who complete and submit a response to the Survey during the period between 22 September 2021 and 6 October 2021 (“Promotional Period”) (“Eligible Member”).
- No purchase or fee is required to enter the Prize Draw.
- The prize consists of one of five (5) $200 Prezzy Cards(“Prize”).
- The Prize will be drawn on 13 October 2021 and the Prize winner will be notified by email at the same email address that the invitation to participate in the Survey was sent to. If Southern Cross is unable to get in contact with a Prize winner within two (2) weeks of the Prize Draw taking place, that winner will forfeit the Prize and the Prize will be re-drawn.
- Southern Cross’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- >The Prize is non-transferable and not redeemable for cash. The Prize is subject to availability and if unavailable will be replaced with similar prize of an equivalent value.
- Your personal information is being collected by Southern Cross Medical Care Society for the purpose of conducting and administering the Survey and this prize draw. Your personal information will be held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society, level 1, Te Kupenga, 155 Fanshawe Street, Auckland 1010. You have the right to access and seek correction of any personal information Southern Cross holds about you.
Snap Fitness offer - Terms and conditions
Offer is available to Southern Cross Health Society members only (excludes Southern Cross travel insurance, pet insurance and life insurance policyholders). Only available to new Snap Fitness members who join on a 12-month minimum term. Proof of Southern Cross Health Society membership must be shown in-club at time of offer redemption. Access card cost applies. Inclusions and pricing may vary at each club location. Not valid with any other offer.
Recurring credit card - Terms and conditions
I authorise you until further notice in writing to charge my credit card with all the amounts due on my Southern Cross Medical Care Society account from time to time, on or after the payment due date.
Your credit card will be charged on a payment date determined by us. We'll give you at least 10 days written notice prior to your first payment, by sending you an invoice / statement. To help us, please ensure you submit this authority at least 15 days before your first payment is due. If we don't receive this from you in time or if we're unable to process your request in time, your first payment may occur on another payment date determined by us and the first payment may include more than one billing period. If you were previously paying by credit card your payment date won't change.
We will automatically adjust the payment amount when changes happen to your policy and notify you in advance of the payment date and amount. You may terminate this authority for future payments by giving us formal notice. Where a request to terminate has been received, we will try to cancel future payments as soon as we can but there may be circumstances where we are unable to do this until after the next scheduled payment.
You are responsible for updating your credit card details when you change credit card issuers or receive a replacement credit card with a new card number. You can update your details anytime using My Southern Cross.
If you are making a one off credit card payment, you agree that Southern Cross Medical Care Society can charge the amount entered in the ‘Amount to pay’ window to your credit card.
Social Media - House Rules
When you use any social media channel hosted or established by Southern Cross Medical Care Society (“SCHS”), including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn or any similar social media platforms ("Social Media"), you agree to do so in accordance with these Social Media House Rules ("Rules").
1. Privacy and Personal Information
1.1 SCHS’ Member Privacy Statement is available here ("Privacy Statement"). SCHS may from time to time publish an amended Privacy Statement located here. The applicable Privacy Statement will be the most current published version.
1.2 By accessing or using Social Media, you accept and agree to comply with these Rules and you agree that personal information supplied by you in connection with your use of Social Media may be collected, stored, handled, used and deleted in accordance with SCHS’ Privacy Statement.
2. About your contribution / posts
2.1 SCHS values opinion and debate, but everyone deserves respect. SCHS has zero tolerance towards abusive or offensive activity. If things get heated or personal SCHS will remove posts. Multiple offenders will be blocked.
2.2 Personal information posted to any social media platform, forum or website, including Social Media, becomes public information. Please bear this in mind and exercise caution when posting or contributing information to Social Media. Please share your thoughts and comments with us but never post personal, financial or account details or details about a policy or claim (whether yours or someone else’s).
2.3 SCHS will never ask you to provide personal, financial or account details via Social Media.
An administrator may request a telephone or email contact from you via a private
message function if a customer service representative is required to contact you to resolve a query. If you have concerns about any person asking for or providing such personal information via Social Media please notify us by email at email@example.com or by telephone on 0800 800 181.
2.4 SCHS will endeavour to respond to queries posted on Social Media within 24 hours on business days in Auckland, New Zealand ("Business Days"). SCHS will endeavour to respond to queries posted on weekends or holidays on the next Business Day.
2.5 SCHS may review and remove any content or contribution at any time and for any reason, without giving any notice.
2.6 The following standards of behaviour must be followed when using Social Media:
2.6.1 Contributions must be civil and tasteful.
2.6.2 No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite and not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.
2.6.3 No unlawful or objectionable content: material which is or may be construed or interpreted as being threatening, unlawful, discriminatory, degrading, menacing,
2.6.4 You may not submit or share any defamatory or illegal material of any nature on Social Media, including text, graphics, video, programs or audio.
2.6.5 Contributing material to Social Media with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act is strictly prohibited.
2.6.6 Scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, harassing, defamatory, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, liable to incite racial hatred or otherwise objectionable, material contributed in breach of confidence, or in breach of privacy, is not acceptable.
2.6.7 No criminal offences: conduct which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of, or infringe the rights of any third party in, New Zealand, Australia or any other country in the world, is prohibited.
2.6.8 No spamming or off-topic / irrelevant material: SCHS don't allow the submission of the same or very similar contributions many times. Please don't re-submit your contribution to more than one discussion, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
2.6.9 No financial advice: You must not give financial advice or post or submit any material which could be considered financial advice or engage in any other financial service (For example, by providing a recommendation or a statement of opinion (or a report of either of those things), intended to influence a person(s) in making a decision or an interest about or in a particular financial product or class of financial products, or which could reasonably be regarded as being intended to have such an influence).
2.6.10 Not engage in false, misleading or deceptive conduct: you must not engage in false, misleading or deceptive conduct or post or submit any false, misleading or deceptive information or any other information or material which could contribute to damaging the name, brand and/or reputation of SCHS (or any of its affiliated or related entities) or any other third party individual or product/service.
2.6.11 No advertising or promoting or posted / contributed with the intention to sell a product / service.
2.6.12 Contributions containing languages other than English may be removed.
2.6.13 No impersonation.
2.6.14 No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names.
2.6.16 You must not post, transmit to or submit via Social Media any material that is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
2.6.17 Misuse: you must not misuse Social Media (including, without limitation, by hacking and/or accessing or attempting to access the accounts of other users).
2.6.19 Licences: you must obtain all necessary licences and/or approvals.
3. Intellectual Property
You will submit to or share with Social Media only contributions which are your own original work. You must not infringe the rights of SCHS or any third party including intellectual property rights, privacy, personal or proprietary rights.
4.1 If you're under 18:
4.1.1 You must obtain a parent or guardian's permission before taking part in any Social Media.
4.1.2 Never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example, school name, telephone number, your full name, home address or email address).
5. Your Social Media Platform Accounts
All social media platform accounts must be established with a valid personal email address that you access regularly so that SCHS can contact you.
SCHS strongly recommend that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example, telephone number, postal address, home address or email address) or any other details that would allow you to be personally identified.
7. Exclusion of liability
7.1 Social Media may contain hyperlinks to other websites owned or operated by third parties or references to third party products or services. SCHS is not responsible for, and makes no recommendation about, the content or accuracy of third party websites or the suitability or performance of any third party product or service. The inclusion of a reference to a third party or any third party product or service on social media does not imply that SCHS endorses the website or third party product/service.
7.2 Whilst SCHS uses reasonable endeavours to ensure the content on its Social Media is accurate, not misleading and does not breach any laws, except where not able to be excluded by law, it does not accept any liability in respect of any breach in this regard.
7.3 Information posted on Social Media may be updated or deleted at any time by SCHS.
7.4 Content posted on Social Media is general information only and does not take into account the health or personal circumstances of a particular individual or class of persons. Where health, medical and/or lifestyle information is provided on Social Media it is not a health service, or provided by or intended to substitute the expertise and judgment of a health practitioner. We always recommend you seek the care of an appropriate health practitioner for any advice, investigations, diagnosis and treatment of any health, lifestyle and medical related issues and concerns you may have.
7.5 Contributions and/or posts by third parties do not necessarily represent the opinions and/or views of SCHS.
8. Product information
For further information about SCHS’ products and services (including policy terms and conditions) or to get a quote please visit here.
9. If you breach these Rules
9.1 If you fail to abide by these Rules when contributing to Social Media, your contribution may be refused, edited or deleted.
9.2 You may be contacted to explain why your contribution has been refused, edited or deleted.
You may also be given a warning that continuing to breach the Rules may result in action being taken against your account or accounts.
9.3 This action may include any content posted by you being checked before being posted or a temporary or permanent suspension of your ability to participate in any or all of the Social Media.
9.4 If you submit or share offensive or inappropriate content to or with any Social Media, SCHS may use whatever information is available to it about you to stop any further such infringements. This may include informing relevant third parties such as your employer, school or email provider about the infringement(s).
9.5 SCHS reserves the right to monitor, suspend, restrict or terminate your access to Social Media or to monitor, suspend, remove, destroy, copy or use any content that is posted on Social Media (of any nature and however it may have been inserted or posted) at any time without notice at SCHS’ discretion. SCHS reserves the right to take action against any SCHS Social Media account, at any time, for any reason.
9.6 SCHS reserves the right to amend these Rules at any time. Any such amendments become effective immediately upon publication on SCHS’ website here.
10. Safe harbour process
10.1 If you have a complaint about any illegal or harmful content that has been posted by a third party about you on SCHS’ Social Media please complete and submit the form attached here. Alternatively, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, please include all of the relevant details from the Notice of Complaint Form.
10.2 We will acknowledge receipt of the form / information and notify you of the action taken as soon as we are able to.
Specsavers member offers - terms and conditions
^ ½ price eye health check
- Applies to standard eye tests only, valued at $60.
- Excludes contact lens examinations and visual field checks.
- Offer only available once a year per eligible member.
* 25% discount for Southern Cross Members
- Standard Discount (available year round) - Southern Cross Health Society members receive 25% off one pair of glasses from the $169 range or above.
- Can only be redeemed in store upon presentation of a Southern Cross Member Card.
- Single-vision lenses only.
- Upgrades include other lens types and any lens options.
- Use with other offers restricted.
- Excludes safety eyewear.
Start 2022 better - terms and conditions
Southern Cross is offering its members free online doctor consultations with CareHQ and up to 3 counselling or wellbeing coaching sessions per member with Raise (Offer) for consultations or sessions booked between 1 December 2021 to 30 March 2022 (Offer Period), subject to the terms and conditions set out below.
Southern Cross reserves the right to change any terms of the Offer at any time including the Offer Period and reserves the right to withdraw the Offer without prior notice at any time. Any changes to the Offer will be notified on this web page.
The Offer is available to anyone who is a member of Southern Cross at the time that they make a booking for the services available through the Offer during the Offer Period, regardless of the plan that they are on.
The availability of CareHQ and Raise appointments is outside the control of Southern Cross and is subject to the availability of the professionals who provide these services. Southern Cross accepts no liability for either the services provided by CareHQ or Raise or the inability of Southern Cross members to access these services during the Offer Period.
CareHQ appointments must be booked via the My Southern Cross app in order to be free of charge. Each member must use their own login to the My Southern Cross app to book their own CareHQ appointment. The only members who can have a booking made on their behalf are children.
The first session with Raise must be booked before the end of the Offer Period and any follow-up sessions (within the maximum of 3 sessions) must have taken place by 30 June 2022 in order to be eligible.
Start 2022 better FAQs
In September, we announced a $10 million operating surplus. Normally, any surplus not used to fund healthcare services is used for the benefit of members, such as expanding policy coverage, improving services (such as digital) or strengthening reserves. This time, we wanted to support our members in a meaningful way that reflects the current challenges.
Who is paying for this?
We (Southern Cross Health Society) are subsidising the cost of these services for all our members.
Will this be built into my premiums for next year?
This offer will have no effect on your premiums next year.
Will this affect my claims experience?
As these services are being offered free during the offer period, you won’t need to make a claim under your policy. So if, for example, you take up the offer of free online GP consultations with CareHQ, any CareHQ consultations you have during the offer period won’t count towards any policy limits and/or benefit allowances you may have under your policy.
How do I book my free CareHQ online GP consultation?
To redeem this offer you must make your booking using the MySouthernCross app.
Each adult on your policy must book using their own login for the MySouthernCross app, and only the policyholder can book an appointment for dependent children. If you haven’t got the MySouthernCross app already, register now and download the app free from the Apple App store or Google Play store.
No. To redeem this offer you must make your booking using the MySouthernCross app.
How do I get the MySouthernCross app?
You need to register for MySouthernCross. Then you can download the app free from the Apple App store or Google Play store.
Why do I need to book a CareHQ appointment through the MySouthernCross app?
Making your booking via the MySouthernCross app enables us to identify you as a Southern Cross member, meaning you will not be charged for the cost of your consultation.
How do I book my free mental health session with Raise?
You can book by calling Raise on 0800 735 343.
How long is the offer available for?
The offer runs from 1 December 2021 to 31 March 2022 but is subject to change. Southern Cross will notify any changes to this date on southerncross.co.nz/better-22
Is it still free if my appointment is after 31 March 2022?
The first session with Raise must be booked before the end of the Offer Period and any follow-up sessions (within the maximum of 3 sessions) must have taken place by 30 June 2022 to be eligible. For CareHQ all appoints booked before the offer end date will be free of charge.
Is there a limit to how many free appointments I can book?
There is no limit to the number of CareHQ online doctor consultations that a member may book during the offer period. You can book up to three mental wellbeing sessions with Raise to see a Counsellor or Wellbeing Coach.
Will you be continuing this offer if it's popular?
The offer is for a limited time and although Southern Cross reserves the right to change the terms of the offer at any time (including the period during which the offer is available), there are no current plans to extend the offer.
If my family members aren't on the policy can they use the offer?
This offer is only available to Southern Cross members. Family members may only take up this offer if they, themselves are a member.
I already get free GP visits as part of the plan I pay for, so will I get a discount on my premium?
Access to CareHQ is a little different to visiting your doctor face to face and claiming for it. With the online appointments, you’ll be able to access a doctor every day over the Christmas period, from 7am to 7pm, and because it’s online, you can access it anytime, anywhere.
We won’t be able to give you a discount on the portion of your premium that covers GP visits. However, as these services are being offered free during the offer period, you won’t need to make a claim under your policy. Any CareHQ consultations you have during the offer period won’t, therefore, count towards any policy limits and/or benefit allowances you may have under your policy. This may also, therefore, benefit members who are being assessed for a low claiming discount.
My policy is on hold or suspended. Can I take up this free offer?
St John member offer - terms and conditions
Offer is available to Southern Cross Health Society members only (excludes Southern Cross travel insurance, pet insurance, and life insurance policyholders). Discount only available on the following courses: First Aid Level 1 (8.5 hours) NZQA credits 6401,6402, First Aid Level 2 (12.5 days) NZQA credits 6400, 6401, 6402, Basic Life Support Course (4.15 hours) NZQA credit 6401, First Aid Refresher Course (6.5 hours) Mental Health First Aid (8 hours).
Sunglass Hut member offer - terms and conditions
- Southern Cross Health Society members receive 15% off selected full priced sunglasses.
- Offer is only available in Sunglass Hut stores in New Zealand (not online).
- Excludes Chanel, Oliver Peoples, Maui Jim, Celine and Costa Del Mar.
- Discount is not available on accessories, gift cards or any product other than sunglasses.
- Offer cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Offer is not transferrable.
- Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.