Changing your employer?
If you’re changing jobs it’s easy to continue your Southern Cross health insurance. Make sure you contact us within 30 days of leaving your employer to discuss whether you are eligible to retain cover for qualifying pre-existing conditions and/or qualifying developed conditions*.
What you need to do
To retain your health insurance, (including whether you qualify to retain cover for qualifying pre-existing conditions and or qualifying developed conditions), you need to contact us within 30 days of leaving your current employer.
- Check whether your new employer has a Southern Cross work scheme. If they do, it may be possible to transfer your policy into your new employer’s scheme*. Call us on 0800 800 181 to talk about this.
- If your new employer doesn’t have a Southern Cross work scheme, you could continue your health insurance with Southern Cross as an individual member. Call us on 0800 800 181 and we can arrange this over the phone.
The advantages of continuing your health insurance
- You may be eligible to retain cover for medical conditions that have developed while you’ve had a Southern Cross policy. If you stopped cover and then started it again with us or another health insurer, these conditions would probably be excluded as ‘pre-existing conditions’.
- You have choice over who provides your treatment for qualifying medical conditions, when it is carried out and where.
- We have a wide range of plans to suit your budget and lifestyle.
- You can access our Affiliated Providers for treatment. We have arrangements with selected health service providers, including specialists, hospitals and facilities, to provide specific services and procedures to members at agreed prices.
- Southern Cross is a not for profit organisation that operates for the benefit of our 840,000+ members.
- We pay out more claims than any other health insurer in New Zealand. For every $1 we get in premiums, we aim to pay 85 cents back in claims – that’s higher than overseas owned or shareholder-owned heath insurers operating in New Zealand.
*Terms and Conditions apply. Please contact us.