FAQs and quick answers

What can I claim under the travel and accommodation allowance?

You can claim hotel/motel room costs and public transport costs for the members receiving treatment and a support person. This cover includes the following:

  • Non-hospital apartment hires/rentals eg. Airbnb or Bookabach
  • Public transport including buses, trains, taxis, Uber, shuttles, planes and ferries
  • Flights paid by airpoints dollars as long as the member is eligible for the travel and accommodation allowance
  • Hospital flats (e.g. Wakefield Hospital)
  • Travel and accommodation for eligible day to day treatments if there is no private practice within 100km of the member's home

There is no cover for car hire, mileage or petrol costs. The travel and accommodation allowance is only available for eligible healthcare services that require you to travel more than 100km from your home address to receive treatment.

The allowance cannot be claimed for treatment outside New Zealand, however some of our plans include an overseas treatment allowance. Eligibility criteria apply.

You can check your benefits in My Southern Cross to confirm the maximum allowance you can claim or refer to your policy document for more information.

Related questions