The My Southern Cross Mobile App is a facility established and maintained by Southern Cross Medical Care Society (Southern Cross/we/us/our) which may be accessed using your mobile phone handset. Use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App initially requires the use of a confidential user name and password which may be obtained from Southern Cross, and a PIN number selected by you (together, Security Credentials).
The terms and conditions of your policy are contained in your policy document. You can view a copy of your policy document online at www.southerncross.co.nz. The terms and conditions of your policy (including benefits, limitations and exclusions) may change from time to time. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event of any conflict between the content of the My Southern Cross Mobile App and the terms and conditions of your policy, the terms and conditions of your policy take precedence.
2. Service Descriptions
Southern Cross has the sole right to determine the extent of your access and the extent of services available via the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
The ‘benefits’ function displays the amount that is available to you to claim for eligible healthcare services based on your annual limits. An annual limit is the maximum amount you can claim in each claims year for an eligible healthcare service, or for the healthcare services within a particular category (e.g. Self-care services).
There may be other conditions or restrictions which apply to the benefits displayed. Please refer to your policy document.
Depending on your policy, some limits may be combined limits. For example, if you have a HealthEssentials policy, you have a combined limit for Physiotherapy, Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Remedial massage therapy, Acupuncture and Dietitian consultations.
Benefits indicated may not be accurate as claim limits are not updated in real time. Benefits are also not payable by Southern Cross until applicable stand-down periods have been served.
Reliance on the information displayed in the benefits function is entirely at your own risk. We suggest you contact us for more accurate information about your claim limits.
Claiming function (applicable to policyholders only)
You may submit a completed claim for certain eligible healthcare services received by any member covered under your policy through the My Southern Cross Mobile App. Make sure you include a legible photograph or scanned copy of the original itemised receipts which includes the date treatment was provided. We do not accept EFTPOS or credit card receipts. Please retain your original itemised receipts as we may request these be provided to us in order to assess your claim.
The mandatory claim fields must be fully completed and required declarations made to ensure your claim can be processed promptly.
If accepted, we’ll pay your claim refund to the bank account number you give us when you submit your claim.
Prior Approval function
You must apply for prior approval if the cost of your healthcare service is likely to be over $1000 or where any hospitalisation is required, unless you are using an Affiliated Provider.
You may apply for prior approval through the My Southern Cross Mobile App, either for yourself or for another member on the same policy. You will need to provide estimated charges from your health care service provider for each health care service applied for.
If you apply for prior approval for yourself but you are not the policyholder, you acknowledge that information about that prior approval will be provided to the policyholder, as set out in the relevant policy document.
You should apply for prior approval using the My Southern Cross Mobile App at least five working days prior to the healthcare service being provided. If the healthcare service will be provided sooner than 5 working days do not apply through the My Southern Cross Mobile App. Instead you must call us on 0800 800 181 to apply.
If you do not apply for prior approval before using the healthcare service you will have to pay for the healthcare service yourself and then submit a claim, which will be processed in accordance with your policy.
Please note that some mobile devices will retain a copy of the photograph(s) you take of an invoice or costs estimate using the My Southern Cross Mobile App, and store it on your device (e.g. in the device’s photo gallery).
Member offers function
The member offers function displays offers and discounts available to Southern Cross Health Society members from our partners. Terms, conditions, exclusions and availability periods apply to all offers. Visit each offer for full details.
Some of the services require the use of Security Credentials whether issued by Southern Cross or selected by you. You undertake to take responsibility for, and use your best endeavours to prevent, any unauthorised use of, and access to, your My Southern Cross Mobile App account and to protect your personal information and Security Credentials at all times. Your Security Credentials must remain confidential to you alone and you must take all reasonable steps to prevent disclosure of your Security Credentials. For example, you must:
- memorise your Security Credentials;
- not write down or save your PIN number anywhere in any form, including electronically, for example, in your mobile phone;
- not leave your mobile device unattended and logged in to the My Southern Cross Mobile;
- not disclose your Security Credentials to anyone (including the Police, Southern Cross staff or your family);
- take care to ensure no-one can see you enter your Security Credentials; and
- report the disclosure or possible disclosure of your Security Credentials to Southern Cross as soon as you are aware or suspect your Security Credentials have been disclosed.
Where you are required to select a PIN number to use the My Southern Cross Mobile App, the PIN number you choose must not be unsuitable. Unsuitable PIN numbers include:
- birth dates, months or years;
- sequential numbers (e.g. 3456);
- number combinations that may be easily guessed (e.g. 1111);
- parts of your telephone number; and
- other easily accessible personal data (e.g. drivers licence or other numbers easily connected with you).
In addition, you should consider using a different PIN number to access your mobile phone and other cards, bank services or equipment. We encourage you to change your PIN number on a regular basis.
You may be able to use any fingerprint or Face ID stored on your device as your preferred login credentials to access the My Southern Cross Mobile App instead of a PIN (‘Fingerprint Login’ or ‘Face ID Login’). Any person whose fingerprint or Face ID is stored on your device will be able to access your accounts through the My Southern Cross Mobile App. Accordingly, you must ensure that only your fingerprint or Face ID is stored on the device if you wish to use Fingerprint Login or Face ID Login. Fingerprint Login and Face ID Login details are stored on your device and not by the My Southern Cross Mobile App/Southern Cross, so we cannot verify the identity of any person who uses Fingerprint Login or Face ID Login to access your account from your device. You agree that you will be responsible for all actions on your accounts following successful Fingerprint Login or Face ID Login to the My Southern Cross Mobile App.Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised access to or use of your Security Credentials.
4. Intellectual property rights
You acknowledge that all intellectual property rights (including copyright) in the content, layout, design, concept, graphics, software and organisation of the My Southern Cross Mobile App (Southern Cross Materials) is owned by or licensed to Southern Cross.
You may not otherwise copy or change the Southern Cross Materials, and must not adapt, communicate, sell, or otherwise deal with the Southern Cross Materials. You must not tamper with any copyright notice appearing on the My Southern Cross Mobile App or in Southern Cross Materials accessed via the My Southern Cross Mobile App. If you submit any information to us through the My Southern Cross Mobile App, Southern Cross will own all rights in the content that you submit.
"Southern Cross" and "HealthEssentials" and all related graphics, logos and product and service names are trademarks (both registered and unregistered) of Southern Cross. These trademarks, logos and other proprietary graphics may not be used in connection with any other product or service without Southern Cross’ express prior written consent. You must not tamper with or commercially use any trade mark, logo or names (including business names and domain names) appearing on the My Southern Cross Mobile App or in materials accessed via the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
You acknowledge and agree that:
- you will not do anything to or which might hinder, impede, invalidate or challenge Southern Cross’ ownership of or entitlement to use or the registration of any part of the intellectual property or which might diminish the value of the intellectual property in the My Southern Cross Mobile App and/or Southern Cross Materials; and
The My Southern Cross Mobile App is provided to you on an "as is" and "as available" basis, and may from time to time contain errors, faults and inaccuracies. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation, we make no representation and provide no express or implied warranty or guarantee about the security of the My Southern Cross Mobile App, the safety of any file or software associated with it (such as safety from any virus or defects including those which could damage or interfere with any data, software or hardware with which it might be used) or that access to the My Southern Cross Mobile App will be uninterrupted.
The content of the My Southern Cross Mobile App is general and provided for information purposes only. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation, we do not give any express or implied warranties or guarantees and make no representations in relation to the My Southern Cross Mobile App. In particular, while reasonable care is taken in its preparation, Southern Cross does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, quality, completeness, reliability or currency of the My Southern Cross Mobile App (including any errors in or omissions from the content of the My Southern Cross Mobile App), or of any Southern Cross or third party websites, materials, information, products or services promoted or accessed via the My Southern Cross Mobile App, or their usefulness in achieving any purpose. You should make and rely on your own assessment and enquiries to verify the accuracy of the information provided.
Southern Cross does not provide telecommunications services and does not warrant that you will have continuous access to the My Southern Cross Mobile App or that it will be supplied fault free. Southern Cross will not be liable in the event that the My Southern Cross Mobile App is unavailable to you due to computer downtime attributable to malfunctions, upgrades, preventative or remedial maintenance activities or interruption in telecommunications supply. Southern Cross reserves the right to suspend or terminate the availability of the My Southern Cross Mobile App at any time.You agree to access and use the My Southern Cross Mobile App entirely at your own risk. Any transaction you enter into with any advertiser or other third party appearing on the My Southern Cross Mobile App is solely between you and the advertiser or other third party. Southern Cross is not responsible or liable for any part of any such transaction.
6. Limitation of liability
Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation, Southern Cross and its officers, employees and agents accept no liability for any damage, loss, illness or injury (including any loss of profits or income, business interruption, and loss or corruption of data or other information) arising as a result of:
- your access to or use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App or websites or applications linked from the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- the information on the My Southern Cross Mobile App, or on websites or applications linked from the My Southern Cross Mobile App, being incorrect, incomplete or misleading;
- any action or decision by you in relation to the information contained on the My Southern Cross Mobile App; and
- any delay, failure, malfunction or interruption in access to or use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App or websites or applications linked from the My Southern Cross Mobile App; and
- any other cause that may be considered to be beyond the reasonable control of Southern Cross.
You acknowledge that:
- you are responsible for and must take all reasonable care to ensure that information you supply via the My Southern Cross Mobile App is true, complete and accurate;
- Southern Cross accepts no responsibility or liability for the accuracy of, or failure to transmit, information requested by you as part of your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- you are aware of and accept the risks specifically associated with any breach of the security environment relating to your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App (including, without limitation, the risk that third parties may gain access to your personal and/or health information which is confidential);
- Southern Cross has no authority to act for or to incur any obligation on behalf of any Mobile Operator;
- Southern Cross is at no time acting as an agent or partner of any Mobile Operator in providing the My Southern Cross Mobile App and no representation is made or given by Southern Cross that any such relationship exists; and
- neither Southern Cross nor the My Southern Cross Mobile App are regulated or authorised in any jurisdiction other than New Zealand and the My Southern Cross Mobile App is intended to be available only to New Zealand residents who are members of Southern Cross. Southern Cross gives no warranty that it is lawful for citizens or residents elsewhere to use the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
You agree to fully indemnify Southern Cross and its subsidiaries, partners, officers, employees and agents in respect of any loss or damage (including reasonable legal expenses) arising out of or in connection with:
- any loss, damage or liability resulting from any breach of security, including without limitation the use or misuse (whether fraudulent or otherwise) of your Security Credentials or confidential information;
- your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- any person using your Security Credentials to gain access to the My Southern Cross Mobile App; and
- any breach of or failure by you to comply with these terms and conditions.
7. Privacy statement
We collect, retain, hold, use and disclose your personal and health information and other information submitted by you in the My Southern Cross Mobile App in accordance with our Privacy Statement. You can find our full Privacy Statement on our website, www.southerncross.co.nz/privacy.
If you are not a member of Southern Cross, Southern Cross will not collect any personal information or health information about you through your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App.
If you are the policyholder of your Southern Cross policy and are using the Claims function:
- The claims function collects personal information about each member named in a claim for the purpose of evaluating the claim and for contacting you from time to time (using any contact details provided) with information about Southern Cross products and services.
- The intended recipient of this information is Southern Cross Medical Care Society.
- The information is being collected and held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society, Private Bag 3216, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240, Freepost Authority 158217.
- If you fail to provide the information requested your claim may be declined.
- Each member named in the claims function has the right to access and request correction of this information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of New Zealand. Both you and Southern Cross irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand.
8. Governing law
9. Third party websites
10. End-User Terms Required by Apple
You acknowledge and agree that, if the My Southern Cross Mobile App used by you is an iPhone Application:
- These terms and conditions are between you and Southern Cross, and not Apple, Inc. (Apple);
- Southern Cross, and not Apple, is solely responsible for the My Southern Cross Mobile App and Apple has no responsibility whatsoever to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation , Apple will have no warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- Apple is not responsible for any claims that you have arising out of your use of the My Southern Cross Mobile App;
- Apple will have no responsibility whatsoever for the investigation, defence, settlement or discharge of any third-party claim that the My Southern Cross Mobile App infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights;
- you represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties; and
- Apple and its subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these terms and conditions and, upon your acceptance of these terms and conditions, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these terms and conditions against you as a third party beneficiary.