Media releases 2012

Media medium

Southern Cross welcomes media inquiries about any health related topics.

Please contact: Alistair Gray, Communications Adviser, Southern Cross Healthcare Group
Phone: 09 925 6420  Mobile: 021 375167  Emailalistair.gray@southerncross.co.nz

Oct
05

Newlands medical centre to join Southern Cross primary care network

Friday, 5 October 2012 by Aimee Bourke

Newlands Medical Centre is poised to join the Southern Cross Primary Care (SCPC) network of partner practices.

The addition of the suburban Wellington medical centre will bring the number of practices in the SCPC network to six.

Led by GP partners Dr Jim Aubrey, Dr Tim McKenzie and Dr Tony Jackson, Newlands Medical Centre has 9,000 enrolled patients, 11 doctors and a team of nurses and practice support staff who provide a range of primary care services including minor surgery, diabetes management, health screening and accident and injury care.

SCPC CEO Victor Klap said Newlands was a great fit for the SCPC network.

“What SCPC, Newlands and our other practices share is an underlying drive to strengthen and expand New Zealand’s primary care offerings. A lot is already being achieved by the sector, but there is scope for more. We want to help create efficiencies and innovations to improve patient outcomes and reduce overall health costs for the country.

“We see these developments being clinician-led, with SCPC providing resources and support structures to help GPs and practices reach their goals.”

Newlands GP Tony Jackson said the practice was looking forward to making use of the services facilitated by SCPC such as electronic claiming for Southern Cross Health Society members, customer service training and strategic planning.

“We invested in upgrading and enlarging our premises in 2011 with a view to expanding our services. Joining the SCPC network enables us to connect with a national network of like-minded GPs and gives us access to resources that will help us achieve that expansion goal.”

SCPC will have a20 per cent stake in the Newlands practice, with the other 80 per cent remaining with the current GP owners.

Other practices in the SCPC network are Silverdale Medical Centre, CareFirst (New Plymouth), Taradale Medical Centre, Upper Hutt Health Centre and Queenstown Medical Centre. Collectively, the SCPC network now accounts for around 70 GPs and 70,000 enrolled patients.

Klap said, “Together with our partner practices, we are making good progress on service development initiatives. At the same time we are still actively talking to a number of large and progressive practices who are interested in joining a wholly New Zealand-owned network.”

SCPC’s partnership with Newlands is expected to formally commence in early 2013.