Southern Cross is a group of businesses that share an interest in your health. Our range of products and services, combined with our not-for-profit focus, size and experience, means Southern Cross plays a unique and important role in the New Zealand health sector.
Southern Cross first opened for business in 1961, introducing health insurance to New Zealanders and laying the foundations for one of New Zealand’s most enduring, best known and trusted brands. Southern Cross was established because its founders strongly believed New Zealanders should have on-going access to private healthcare options.
Nearly 60 years later Southern Cross group represents a diverse range of health and financial services brands:
- The Southern Cross Medical Care Society is New Zealand's leading health insurance business with more than 870,000 members.
- Southern Cross Hospitals is the largest network of private surgical hospitals in the country, last year providing treatment to 75,000 patients at its 19 wholly owned or joint venture medical facilities.
- Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a leading online travel insurance provider in New Zealand and Australia.
- Southern Cross Pet Insurance is a prominent New Zealand pet insurance brand.
- And Southern Cross Life Insurance was launched in 2016.
Southern Cross's Chief Executive Officers make up the Group’s leadership team.
Our community impact section looks in more depth at our commercial and non-commercial activities.