Money and options when you need them most
Cancer Assist is an affordable add-on to your Southern Cross health insurance plan (excluding HealthEssentials) and provides you with a one-off payment, over and above your health insurance, should you be diagnosed with a qualifying cancer. Use the one-off payment to spend on what’s important to you at a time when you need it most.
Not yet a member?
for health insurance and Cancer Assist
Already a member?
to add Cancer Assist.
Choose a cover option up to $300,000
You can choose from a range of payment options:
$20,000, $50,000, $100,000, $200,000 and $300,000.
If you have a confirmed cancer diagnosis, you will receive the amount you have chosen as a tax-free one-off payment to spend on what's important to you. (Please see the policy document for our ‘Cancer diagnosis’ definition).
It’s up to you how you use your payment
- Additional treatments – paying for additional or alternative treatments that may not be covered by the public system or health insurance. These could include new treatment options or non-Pharmac approved drugs.
- Taking time off – taking the pressure off needing to work, or reducing your work hours.
- Staying on top of bills – helping with household expenses like mortgage payments or rent and credit card payments.
- Treatment travel costs – covering flight or petrol costs if you need to travel for treatment.
- Childcare and home help – making sure the kids are well cared for while you are having treatment, or arranging extra help around the home.
- Overseas travel – taking a holiday to relax or visiting loved ones overseas.
Cover the whole family
Cancer Assist is designed for the whole family, children up to the age of 21 years can be added to a Cancer Assist policy at any time, and for larger families, you only pay for two children, the rest are free! Members aged over 65 years can continue to have some level of cover (the maximum level of cover reduces to $20,000 after age 65).
Cancer Assist benefit summary
Cancer Assist policy document