Going overseas?

You can put your health insurance policy on hold for overseas travel on three separate occasions over the lifetime of your policy, and your policy can be suspended for up to 5 years (60 months) in total. However any single period of suspension must be for a minimum of 2 months, and be for no more than 3 years (36 months).

To be eligible for a policy suspension you must have been a member for at least 12 months, and have at least 12 months’ consecutive cover between each suspension period.

To put your Southern Cross health insurance plan on hold while you're overseas, you need to contact us before you leave New Zealand.

  • Let us know your membership number, your departure date and expected return date.
  • If you know your return date, your policy will resume and premium payments will start from this date. If you’re not sure when you’re coming back, your policy will automatically reinstate when you reach your maximum suspension period (between 12 and 36 months depending on your particular situation), unless you contact us to tell us otherwise.

Your premium amount is subject to change, and we will contact you to confirm your payments before you return.

Going overseas on secondment

If you belong to Southern Cross through your employer’s work scheme and are seconded overseas for work for more than 2 months, you may be eligible to request suspension of your Southern Cross policy. You will then retain your original date of joining and loyalty benefits.

  • Your employer needs to let us know in writing (on company letterhead) that you’re going to be working overseas. The letter needs to include your name, your membership number, and the start and finish dates of the overseas secondment.
  • To reinstate your policy, your employer will need to contact Southern Cross on your behalf within 30 days of you returning to New Zealand.
  • While you’re overseas, you may like to consider Southern Cross Travel Insurance Working Overseas insurance.

Also, Southern Cross Travel Insurance has insurance options for New Zealanders who are seconded to work overseas, and for internationals who are seconded to work in New Zealand. Find out more.

Working in New Zealand on secondment

If you work for an international company and are seconded to work in New Zealand, you should enquire about Southern Cross Travel Insurance Visiting NZ insurance. Find out more.