Day-stay and rooms-based facility standards certification
Southern Cross Health Society is committed to providing members with access to quality healthcare. It’s important that facilities used by Southern Cross members meet appropriate quality standards. To provide peace of mind to our members, all Affiliated Provider agreements require certain contracted healthcare services to be conducted in a certified facility. This has been a feature of Affiliated Provider agreements since 2007.
What does this mean?
Affiliated Providers performing selected procedures in day-stay facilities and procedure rooms are required to make sure their facilities are registered and comply with the following facility standards by 21 July 2015:
- NZS: 8164 - Day-stay surgery and procedures.
- NZS: 8165 - Rooms/Office-based surgery and procedures.
Extensions will be given on a case-by-case basis, so providers should contact their Southern Cross Contract Manager if they have any questions. There are some exceptions for oral surgery and ophthalmology rooms-based procedures and vasectomy. Please contact your Contract Manager if you have any questions.
To help get the certification process underway, a self-audit checklist is available for providers to use. For providers with Cornerstone accreditation we have a useful comparison with the Rooms/Office-based standard and information on exclusions:
- Exclusions for Rooms/Office Based Surgery and Procedures NZS 8165:2005 for providers with current Cornerstone Aiming for Excellence accreditation
- Comparison analysis between Rooms/Office Based Surgery and Procedures NZS 8165:2005 and Cornerstone Aiming for Excellence accreditation.
Benefits of certification
- Certification is an excellent framework for maintaining good practice in business and clinical management.
- Facilities can use it as a mark of facility quality when marketing services.
- It allows for the development of benchmarking.
- Certification helps facilities establish a risk management system.
- It helps facilities develop policies and procedures that meet current best practice, i.e. medication management and waste disposal processes.
Health Audit NZ Ltd