What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files which are sent to your web browser when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies act as a memory for a website, allowing that website to remember your browser on your return visits. Cookies can also remember your preferences, improve the user experience and tailor the adverts you see to those most relevant to you.
This means we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- the internet domain and IP address from where you access the website
- the type of browser software and configuration and operating system used to access the website
- the date and time you access the website
- if you linked to the website from another website, the address of that website
- the pages you enter, visit and exit the website from, content viewed and duration of visits.
Our Privacy Statement sets out full details of the other information we collect and how we use your personal information.
What cookies do Southern Cross use on this website?
Two kinds of cookies are used on Southern Cross’ website: Session cookies and Persistent cookies.
- Session cookies are used to remember selections made on our website (for example in the Plan comparison tool). Session cookies are deleted automatically when you leave the website or close your browser.
- Persistent cookies are used to identify you when you return to our website and/or to remember specific information about your preferences. These cookies also help us understand browsing behaviour within the website, which can assist us in customising content that we believe will be most relevant to your interests. Persistent cookies are stored on the user's computer and are not deleted when the browser is closed. These cookies must be 'manually' deleted if you want to remove them.
Different cookies are used to perform different functions
Strictly necessary cookies - some cookies are essential for Southern Cross to use in order to provide you with secure access to certain areas of our website (e.g. My Southern Cross). These cookies use a unique identifier to ensure the privacy and security of your personal and or health information once you have logged into the website. If your browser is configured to reject all cookies you will be unable to log on to certain areas of the Southern Cross website e.g. My Southern Cross.
Analytical/performance cookies - these cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors interact and move around and use our website. These cookies are used for web enhancement and optimisation purposes and to aggregate statistics on how our visitors reach and browse our websites. This type of information allows us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily and to help us understand what interests our users, and measure how effective our advertising is;
- Southern Cross example 1: Google Analytics cookies collect information in an anonymous form, providing Southern Cross with information about how our website is used. Southern Cross can determine where visitors have come from to our site, how they are interacting with our site and how many visits have been recorded to our site. These third party cookies assist with making on-going improvements to our website and the online experience.
- Southern Cross example 2: Using Google Analytics User ID functionality, a unique, random ID is assigned by our system to members when they log in to My Southern Cross for the first time. This allows Southern Cross to view that visitor’s access to both My Southern Cross and the Southern Cross website across multiple devices and sessions over a period of time, providing us with more accurate information about how our members use our website, and to assist with making improvements to My Southern Cross and the Southern Cross website. In using the Google Analytics User ID tool we don’t disclose any personal information about you to any third party, including Google, and the data we get back from Google is aggregated and may only be used by Southern Cross in a non-identifiable form.
Functionality cookies - these cookies allow our website to remember choices you have made previously in order to improve your online experience. Southern Cross example: If you enter information about your age, gender and number of dependent children in our “Plan comparison tool” to get a quote on a health insurance plan option, a cookie is used to remember this information if you want to get a quote on a different health insurance plan option.
Advertising / targeting cookies - These cookies collect information about your browsing habits, which assists in the delivery of more relevant advertising. Third party organisations, including Google, collect certain information when you visit our website in order to display our advertisements when you visit other websites. Advertising features that Southern Cross uses include Google AdWords and Analytics Remarketing and Google Display Network Impression Reporting.
Please note that some cookies on the website are managed by third parties, including, for example, advertising networks, features such as videos, maps and social media, and providers of external websites like web traffic analysis services. These cookies are likely to be analytical/performance cookies or targeting cookies. You should refer to such third parties’ own cookie and privacy policies for information about how they may use your information.
How do I control my cookie settings on my computer?
If you decide to disable or block cookies, parts of our website will not function correctly, or at all, (e.g. you will be unable to access your My Southern Cross login).
Should you choose to disable or block our cookies you can do this through your browser. Most browsers allow you to manage your cookie preferences from the browser settings.
This version: July 2021