Southern Cross Pet Insurance has released its 10 most unusual claims of 2017, with the list dominated by dogs who have an appetite for everything from gloves and cotton buds to duvets and even dead pets.
The collection of claims highlights how ordinary household items can be dangerous to our furry friends — and how costly it can be.
For example, a Retradoodle rummaged in a rubbish bin and ate a disposable razor blade, which required surgery. The dog then destroyed its Elizabethan collar and needed a muzzle and calming medicine to ensure the wound healed. The debacle resulted in a vet bill of more than $2,000.
Another claim involved a Miniature Schnauzer who fell hook, line and sinker for a fish hook while swimming one morning. The poor pooch wasn’t the only dog to get snagged by a fish hook in 2017 either.
“Weird claims are pretty common for our team because pets can get up to all sorts of mischief,” says Southern Cross Pet Insurance General Manager Anthony McPhail. “The fact is, a lot of these strange situations can be very costly and stressful for the animal and the owner.
“Pets give their owners a lot of joy but it’s important not to underestimate just how much vet bills can cost. There’s no equivalent of a public health system for pets so if you don’t have pet insurance it’s best to put some money aside in case they get up to no good and hurt themselves.”
Although New Zealand has the second highest pet ownership rate in the world*, insurance rates here are low compared to other pet-loving nations.
Southern Cross Pet Insurance’s most unusual claims of 2017, including the claim cost:
* According to the Companion Animals in New Zealand 2016 report.
Customer enquiries, feedback and complaints.