Southern Cross is a group of businesses that share an interest in your health. Our range of products and services, combined with our not-for-profit focus, size and experience, means Southern Cross plays a unique and important role in the New Zealand health sector.
Southern Cross first opened for business in 1961, introducing health insurance to New Zealanders and laying the foundations for one of New Zealand’s most enduring, best known and trusted brands. Southern Cross was established because its founders strongly believed New Zealanders should have on-going access to private healthcare options.
More than 50 years later Southern Cross Healthcare Group represents a diverse range of health and financial services businesses:
- The Southern Cross Health Society is New Zealand's leading health insurance business with more than 800,000 members.
- Southern Cross Hospitals is the largest network of private surgical hospitals in the country, last year providing treatment to 75,000 patients at its 18 wholly owned or joint venture medical facilities.
- Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a leading online travel insurance provider in New Zealand and Australia.
- Southern Cross Pet Insurance is a prominent New Zealand pet insurance brand.
- And Southern Cross Life Insurance has been launched in 2016.
The Southern Cross Healthcare Group is made up of various legal entities, united by a common brand, a not-for-profit philosophy and the goal of achieving better value healthcare for New Zealanders.
The legal name of the Southern Cross Health Society is Southern Cross Medical Care Society (a not-for-profit Friendly Society constituted under the Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act 1982). The other Southern Cross entities are the Southern Cross Health Trust (a charitable trust registered as a charitable entity under the Charities Act 2005) and its subsidiaries.
The Chief Executive Officers of the Society, the Trust and the organisation's Corporate office make up the Group’s leadership team.
More information can be found in the Society and Trust annual reports.